The MIB Facebook Page

Mouth of White River, Arkansas, October 10, 1864         General John B. Gray, Adjutant General of Missouri:

General: I have the honor to submit the following as a statement of operations for the 7th Regiment Missouri Veteran Volunteer Infantry. The 150 men, who had re-enlisted as Veteran Volunteers, rejoined the regiment from furlough, at Vicksburg Mississippi around mid May. On May 26, 1864, the non veterans of the regiment received orders to proceed to St. Louis, Missouri to be mustered out of the service. That evening, the 7th Missouri volunters held its final formation as a full regiment. On the 27th of May, the non veterans of the regiment under the command of Colonel Wilm S. Oliver, embarked for St. Louis, and I assumed command of the Veteran Volunteers. We were but a skeleton Regiment, the average company numbering 15 men, but determined to see this rebellion through to the end. Around the 29th of May, the regiment was ordered to Cario Illinois, arriving by ship that next day. While at this place, it was determined that we could not continue to operate efficently with such understrength companies. An immediate re-organization took place, and companies were temporaily consolidated, forming 5 companies.

On the afternoon of June the 5th, we received orders to proceed to Memphis. The regiment broke camp at Cario that evening; emmbarked on transports, and arrived in Memphis that next morning. The Regimental Headquarters was established at Fort Pickering, and the regiment took over the garrisoning of that place. In a few days time, one company was ordered to the Twin Bridges on the Memphis and Charlston Railroad and was principly engaged in guard and picket duty. On the 13th of June, was ordered to send 2 companies to Vicksburg for duty. On or about the 15th, received a detachment of about 40 men from the 16th Missouri Infantry. This company had been assigned to the regiment, and was designated as the 16th Missouri Company. These were veteran troops, having been in the service since August of 1861, but there regiment having failed to complete organization.

Nothing worthy of note occured until the 19th of July, when we received word that orders had been received that the Regiment was to be Consolidated into the 11th Missouri Veteran Volunteers. Preperations for the Consolidation, were at once commenced, and the next few days were spent making ready for the orders to move. But as if fate would have it, the anticipated move was not to be. The state of affairs took a sudden turn, and the 11th Missouri Regiment, was called to immediate service in there theater of operations, and subsequently moved beyound the limits of our reach. On the 23rd of July, we received orders that the consolidation of the regiment would not be able to take place, and that the 7th Missouri Veteran Volunteers was to be consolidated down to a battalion of 3 Companies. The official orders authorizing this as a permanent regimental organization would be forth comming, but we were instructed to commence the re-organization. This was complete in but a few days time, and we continued garrisoning Ft. Pickering until the 28th of July, at which time orders were received for us to move to Morganza Louisiana and join our other company, which had been recently sent there from Vicksburg.

We arrived at Morganza by steamer on the 29th, and joined our detached company, and the forces that were assembling at that place. That next day, we were assigned with the 30th Missouri Infantry Volunteers, into an undesignated demi-bbrigade. The 30th Missouri, was another predominatly Irish Regiment, known as the Shamrock Regiment, and had been in the service since 1862. Our little command quickly became known as the Missouri irish Brigade, and the men of both regiments were quite content with the un-official designation. The new Brigade, while at Morganza, spent its time drilling and performing guard and provost duties. On August the 10th, we were officialy transfered to the new 19th Corps, under the command of Major General John J. Reynolds. On the 18th, Special order #178-1 assigned us to the 2nd Division as the 4th Brigade.

On the 22nd of August, we received word of a Confederate advance towards Port Hudson, and the Division was ordered to move there. We immediatly began preperations for possible new campaign and departed on the steamer Diana on the 23rd, and arriving on the morning of the 24th. That afternoon, the 4th Brigade was ordered on expedition into the interior. We at once set out, marching in the direction of Jackson Louisiana, where the enemy was reported to be. Arriving at Jackson on the morning of the 25th, we discovered that the enemy had fled in the direction of Clinton. We resumed our march in the direction of Clinton, and had frequent skirmishes with the enemy's Cavalry, who fell back as we advanced, when they made a stand one and one half miles outside of Clinton, and being supported by Infantry and Artillery, gave us a brisk fight for several hours, and then withdrawing upon the arrival of the rest of the 2nd Division, which was coming up to reenforce us. The loss of the Confederates in our front was severe; our loss was comparativly very small, the Brigade under my command suffering only 3 Killed and 5 wounded. We encamped that evening in Clinton and on the 26th, the expedition was ordered back to Port Hudson, arriving there on the 28th. That same day, we embarked on steamer Laurel Hill. We returned to Morganza, and returned to our camps.

On August 31, 1864, the Division was reorganized, and our brigade was combined to the first Brigade, under the command of Colonel Benjamin Dornblasher. We were now a part of the 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Corps. On September 3rd, 1864, the 7th Missouri, in conjuction with the Brigade and Division, embarked from Morganza, and arrived at the Mouth of White River Arkansas on the 8th. About early September, the regiment received orders confirming the consolidation of the 7th Missouri into 3 companies. Soon after, we received orders to have 2 companies move up river and escourt a supply train to Memphis. Taking Companies A and C, I proceeded as ordered, and we met the train, and escourted it to Memphis with out inccedent. While here, we were ordered out, and placed on guard and picket duties. We stayed at this place for a few weeks, when we received orders to rejoin our Brigade at Mouth of the White River.

On October 7, 1864, Colonel Dornblasher, in command of our Brigade ordered the Regiment to be conbined with the 30th Missouri. That Regiment having just recently been reduced to a battalion of 4 companies, and it was determined that we would serve more effectivly as a single Consolidated Missouri Battalion. The Senior Colonel commanding, and companies remaining intact. I immediatly assumed command, and was informed that our new Regimental designation is now Consolidated Battalion 7th and 30th Missouri Infantry Volunteers. This has cuased a boost in moral among the men, and it is hoped that this new organization can be made permanment. Many of the other regiments are calling us the Missouri Irish Battalion.

The Battalion is currently spending its time drilling and preparing for future service in the field. It is hoped that the Irish Battalion will have an opportunity to once again engage the enemy and add yet another laurel of honor to Missouri.

LT. COL. Robert Buchanan


Memphis, Tennesee, December 2, 1864         General John B. Gray, Adjutant General of Missouri:

General: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of this battalion from October 10, 1864 (date of my last report) to the present time. The Battalion was stationed at Mouth of White River, as part of the 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, which was principally engaged in Picket and Outpost duties. On the 12th of October, the entire Division was reviewed by General John J. Reynolds, Commanding 19th Corps. My Battalion marched so well that it elicited much admiration and praise.

On the 18th of October, the Battalion in connection with the Brigade, emabarked for Memphis, Tennessee, and arrived at that place on the 19th. It camped in Fort Pickering, below the city, and remained here until October 28th, when it struck tents, and reimbarked for Mouth of White River, Arkansas. It arrived at that place, and took possesion of its former camp. On the 7th of November, the Battalion, in connection with the Brigade, left Mouth of White River Arkansas aboard steamer Pocahontas and went up the White River to Devalls Bluff, a distance of 180 miles, where it arrived November 10, and went into camp. It remained there until November 27th, when the brigade was ordered to memphis Tennessee. The Battalion embarked and left Devalls Bluff November 28 aboard the steamer Schuyler, and arrived at that place December 1st, and is at present stationed.

On the 30th of November, orders were received confirming the Consolidation of the 30th Missouri into a Battalion of four companies. It is hoped that the services this battalion has rendered, will not be unintersting as scraps of the history of one of Missouri's Regiment. Justice to the Officers and men who served, so that their country might live, demands it.

I remain respectfully, your Obedient Servant

Robert Buchanan, Lieut. Colonel , Commanding Battalion


7th Missouri (1861 - 1864)     30th Missouri (1862 - 1865)

Consolidated Battalion - 7th and 30th Missouri Vol's (1864)

Home Page | The MIB of Today | Original History | FAQs | Call to Arms Schedule | Recruitment Depot
Photo Album | Associates and Links | Online Museum | MIB Members camp | Contact the MIB